Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Orrida a gl'occhi miei, quanto, signor, tu sei Tesifone non è. Amor, di noi per gioco, il core a te di foco di gelo fece a me.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Georg Friedrich Händel (1685 - 1759), "Orrida a gl'occhi miei", HWV 33 no. 2, from opera Ariodante, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "My lord, not even Tisiphone", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2018-05-11
Line count: 6
Word count: 27
Horrid in my eyes, so much, Sir, you seem, you are worse than the Fury Tisiphone! Cupid, for fun, has given us hearts of fire and of ice.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2020 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2020-04-11
Line count: 6
Word count: 28