Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mein Esel sicherlich Muß klüger sein, als ich. Ja, klüger muß er sein! [Er fand sich selbst in Stall hinein]1, Und kam doch von der Tränke. Man denke!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Karg-Elert: "Denn er fand in'n Stall sich selbst hinein"
- by Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729 - 1781), "Niklas", appears in Lieder [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Sigfrid Karg-Elert (1877 - 1933), "Mein Esel", op. 56 no. 4, published 1907, from Zehn Epigramme von Lessing, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Timothy Hoekman) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2007-01-11
Line count: 6
Word count: 28
My donkey surely Must be smarter than I am. Yes, he must be smarter! He found his way into the stable by himself, Even though he came from the drinking trough. Just think!
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of titles
"Niklas" = "Niklas"
"Mein Esel" = "My donkey"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Timothy Hoekman, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Gotthold Ephraim Lessing (1729 - 1781), "Niklas", appears in Lieder
This text was added to the website: 2020-08-28
Line count: 6
Word count: 33