When I am grown to man's estate I shall be very proud and great, And tell the other girls and boys Not to meddle with my toys.
- by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894), "Looking forward", appears in A Child's Garden of Verses, first published 1885 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernst Bacon (1898 - 1990), "Looking forward", 1960. [text not verified]
- by Edward Falk , "Looking forward", published <<1940 [voice and piano], from A Child's Garden of Verses [text not verified]
- by Antonio Giacometti (b. 1957), "Looking forward", 2005 [baritone and piano], from Seven Stevenson Songs, no. 6. [text not verified]
- by Malcolm Benjamin Graham Christopher Williamson (b. 1931), "Looking forward", published 1968 [high voice and piano], from From a child's garden, no. 4. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Paolo Montanari) , title 1: "Pensando al futuro", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 27