Mes durs rêves formels sauront te chevaucher, Mon destin au char d'or sera ton beau cocher Qui pour rènes tendus à frénésie, Mes vers, les parangons de toute poésie.
First appeared in the revue La Phalange, June 15, 1908, in "La Marchande des quatre saisons ou le bestiaire mondain" no. 3 of 18, and later in the 1911 publication of "Le Bestiaire ou Cortège d'Orphée", Paris, Deplanche.
- by Wilhelm Albert Włodzimierz Apolinary Kostrowicki (1880 - 1918), as Guillaume Apollinaire, "Le Cheval", written 1908, appears in Le Bestiaire, ou Cortège d'Orphée, no. 3, first published 1908 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Claude Ballif (1924 - 2004), "Le Cheval", op. 1b no. 3 (1945-48), published 1994 [ voice and piano ], from Le Cortège d’Orphée, no. 3, Édition Durand & Fils [sung text not yet checked]
- by Régis Campo (b. 1968), "Le Cheval", 2007-08 [ soprano and orchestra or piano ], from Le Bestiaire, no. 11, Éd. Henry Lemoine (piano reduction) [sung text not yet checked]
- by John Carbon (b. 1951), "Le Cheval", op. 22 no. 2 (2002), copyright © 2008 [ soprano, horn, cello, piano ], from Le Bestiare, no. 2, Édition du compositeur (JC. Collections) [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robert Cornman (1924 - 2008), "Le Cheval", 1972 [ medium voice and piano ], from Le Bestiaire (bêta) ou cortège d'Orphée, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Louis Durey (1888 - 1979), "Le Cheval", op. 17a no. 3 (1919), from Le Bestiaire, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Rachel Laurin (b. 1961), "Le Cheval", op. 22 no. 6 (1992), copyright © 1992 [ medium voice and piano ], from Le Bestiaire, no. 6 [sung text not yet checked]
Researcher for this text: Ted Perry
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 29