Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Als ich müde am Aehrenfeld Unter dem Birnbaum ruhte, Hat sich die Wachtel zu mir gesellt. "Schmeckt der Weck?" fragte die Gute. Ja Frau Wachtel, es schmeckt der Weck, Auch mit Wasser genossen, - Wenn uns zu hoch hängt Schinken und Speck[,] Wenn uns der Keller verschlossen.
Confirmed with Rudolf Baumbach, Spielmannslieder, Leipzig: Verlag von A. G. Liebeskind, 1883, page 19.
- by Rudolph Baumbach (1840 - 1905), "Wachtelschlag", appears in Spielmannslieder [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hermann Brune (1856 - 1922), "Wachtelschlag", op. 26 (Vier Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1891 [ voice and piano ], Hannover: Nagel Verlag [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Song of the quail", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2020-03-16
Line count: 8
Word count: 47
As I, weary beside the field of grain, Rested under a pear tree, I was joined by a quail. "Is the bread roll tasty?" the good bird asked. Yes, Madame Quail, the bread roll is tasty, Even when one eats it with water, - When the hams and bacon hang too high for us[,] When the cellar is locked against us.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Rudolph Baumbach (1840 - 1905), "Wachtelschlag", appears in Spielmannslieder
This text was added to the website: 2020-03-17
Line count: 8
Word count: 61