Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Eri già tutta mia, Mia quel' alma e quel core, Chi da me ti desvia: Novo laccio d'amore? O bellezz' o valore, O mirabil constanza, Ove sei tu? Eri già tutta mia; Hor non sei più. Ah, che mia non sei più. Sol per me gl'occhi belli Rivolgevi ridenti, Per me d'oro i capelli Si spiegavan a i venti. O fugaci contenti, O fermezza d'un core, Ove sei tu? Eri già tutta mia; Hor non sei più. Ah, che mia non sei più. Il gioir nel mio viso: Ah che più non rimiri. Il mio canto, il mio riso È converso in martiri. O dispersi sospiri, O sparita pietate, Ove sei tu? Eri già tutta mia; Hor non sei più. Ah, che mia non sei più.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Eri già tutta mia", SV. 248, published 1632, from Scherzi musicali cioè arie et madrigali, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Allen Shearer) , "You were once all mine", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Un jour tu étais toute mienne", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 30
Word count: 126
You were once all mine, mine were your heart and soul. Who turned you away from me? The lure of a new love? O beauty, O valor, O admirable constancy, where are you now? You were once all mine, but no longer, no longer, alas! you're mine no longer. To me alone you turned your lovely smiling eyes, for me alone you loosed your golden hair to the wind. O fleeting happiness, O steadiness of heart, where are you now? You were once all mine but no longer, no longer, alas! you're mine no longer. Pleasure on my face, alas! you'll gaze upon no longer; my song, my laugh are changed to torture. O scattered sighs, O vanished pity, where are you now? You were once all mine but no longer, no longer, alas! you're mine no longer.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2005 by Allen Shearer, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2005-09-02
Line count: 30
Word count: 138