Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Den grünen Zeigern, Den roten Wangen, Den lustigen Geigern Bin ich nachgegangen Von Schenk' zu Schenk', Solang' ich denk'. Am Tschako jetz trag' ich Die grünen Äste, Rote Wangen, die schlag' ich Den Feinden auf's Beste, Kanonengebrumm Musiziert herum.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Nikolaus Lenau (1802 - 1850), no title, appears in Gedichte, in 4. Viertes Buch, in Vermischte Gedichte, in Husarenlieder, no. 3 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Den grünen Zeigern", op. 117 no. 3 (1851), published 1852, from Vier Husarenlieder von Nikolaus Lenau, no. 3, Leipzig, Senff [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Els verds senyals", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De groene wijzers", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Linda Godry) , "The indicating green branches", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Les pancartes vertes", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Ai verdi segnali", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 39
The indicating green branches, The red cheeks, The jolly fiddlers I followed From tavern to tavern, For as long as I can remember. At the shako I now wear The freshly cut branches, Red cheeks I give The enemy as best as I can, Cannon roar is the music that surrounds us [and is our favourite tune now].
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2006 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Nikolaus Lenau (1802 - 1850), no title, appears in Gedichte, in 4. Viertes Buch, in Vermischte Gedichte, in Husarenlieder, no. 3
This text was added to the website: 2006-11-07
Line count: 12
Word count: 58