Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Hier auf den Fluren mit rosigen Wangen, [Hirtinnen, eilet]1 zum Tanze herbei, Laßt [euch]2 die Wonnen des Frühlings umfangen, Liebe und Freude sind ewiger Mai. Hier [zu den]3 Füßen, Holde [dir, grüßen]4 Herrscherin von Arkadien wir dich. Flöten, Schalmeien Tönen, es freuen Deiner die Fluren, die blühenden sich. Von Jubel erschallen die grünenden Hallen Der Höhen, die luftig, Der [Fluren]5, die duftig Erglänzen und [strahlen]6 in Liebe und Lust, In schattigen Thalen, Da schweigen die Qualen Der liebenden Brust.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Rosamunde. Drama in fünf Akten von Helmina von Chézy. Musik von Franz Schubert. Erstveröffentlichung der überarbeiteten Fassung. Mit einer Einleitung und unbekannten Quellen herausgegeben von Till Gerrit Waidelich. Verlegt bei Hans Schneider [Tutzing] 1996, p. 111.
Note: The libretto of Chézy's initial version of her play, with the title Rosamunde, Fürstinn von Cypern, which was staged in 1823 in Vienna with Schubert's music, is lost. This original version of the play comprises 4 acts. The manuscript of a revised version of Rosamunde in 5 acts has lately been discovered and published (see reference above). The Hirtenchor set by Schubert appears in act 3, scene 5 of the revised version.1 Chézy (revised version): "Jünglinge, Mädchen,"
2 Chézy (revised version): "uns"
3 Chézy (revised version): "dir zu"
4 Chézy (revised version): "begrüßen"
5 Chézy (revised version): "Thale"
6 Chézy (revised version): "prangen"
- by Wilhelmina Christiane von Chézy, née Klencke (1783 - 1856), no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Hirtenchor ", op. 26 no. 4, D 797 no. 7 (1823), published 1832, first performed 1823 [ satb chorus and orchestra ], from the incidental music to Rosamunde, no. 7, Diabelli & Co., VN 3533, Wien (version for chorus and piano) [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Herderskoor", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "Shepherds' Chorus", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chœur des bergers", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2011-01-18
Line count: 17
Word count: 79
Here on these meadows with pink cheeks, Shepherdesses, hurry along and start dancing, Allow yourselves to be embraced by the delights of spring, Love and joy are eternally May. Here at your feet, Beauteous one, we greet you, Mistress of Arcadia. Flutes, shawms Resound, the fields delight In you as they blossom. Ringing out with jubilation are the green spaces, The airy heights, The fragrant meadows, They are gleaming and shining with love and delight, In shady valleys The torments Of loving breasts are silenced.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2020 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Wilhelmina Christiane von Chézy, née Klencke (1783 - 1856), no title
This text was added to the website: 2020-12-20
Line count: 17
Word count: 85