Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ein blauer Sommer glanz- und glutenschwer Geht über Wiesen, Felder, Gärten her. Die Sonnenkrone glüht auf seinen Locken, Sein warmer Atem läutet Blütenglocken. Ein goldnes Band umzieht die blaue Stirne, Schwer aus den Zweigen fällt die reife Frucht Und Sens' und Sichel blitzt auf Flur und Feld, Und rot von Rosen ist die ganze Welt.
- by Karl (or Carl) Busse (1872 - 1918) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Blauer Sommer", op. 31 (Vier Lieder von Carl Busse und Richard Dehmel) no. 1 (1895), published 1896 [voice and piano], Berlin, Fürstner [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Un estiu blau", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Blauwe zomer", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Joel Ayau) , "Blue summer", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Un été bleu", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 55
A blue summer, heavy with shine and embers, Approaches us through meadows, fields, and gardens, The sun's crown glows on its locks of hair, Its warm breath rings flower bells. A golden ribbon encircles his blue forehead, Ripe fruit falls heavily from the branches And scythe and sickle flash through field and farmland, And the entire world is red with roses.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Joel Ayau, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2008-12-10
Line count: 8
Word count: 61