I [care not]1 what the sailors say: All those dreadful thunder-stones, All that storm that blots the day Can but show that Heaven yawns; Great Europa played the fool That changed a lover for a bull. Fol de rol, fol de rol. To round that shell's elaborate whorl, Adorning every secret track With the delicate mother-of-pearl, Made the joints of Heaven crack: So never hang your heart upon A roaring, ranting journeyman. Fol de rol, fol de rol.
First published in London Mercury, November 1930
1 Grill: "don't care"
- by William Butler Yeats (1865 - 1939), "Crazy Jane reproved" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Jack Hamilton Beeson (b. 1921), "Crazy Jane reproved" [ low female voice and piano ], from Three love songs [sung text not yet checked]
- by Stanley Grill (b. 1953), "Crazy Jane Reproved", 1999, copyright © 2000 [ soprano, flute, violin, viola, cello and piano ], from Crazy Jane Sings, no. 2, confirmed with an online score [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Patrick Arthur Sheldon Hadley (1899 - 1973), "Crazy Jane reproved", 1958 [ soprano and harp ], from Crazy Jane, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
- by David Lidov (b. 1941), "Crazy Jane reproved", 1967, rev. 1970 [ voice and piano ], from Crazy Jane's songs [sung text not yet checked]
- by Paul Paviour (b. 1931), "Crazy Jane reproved", copyright © 1969 [ soprano and piano ], from Crazy Jane, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Malcolm Wren [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-01-03
Line count: 14
Word count: 78