Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Seltsam schöne Hügelfluchten, Dunkle Berge, helle Matten, Rote Felsen, braune Schluchten, Überflort von Tannenschatten! Wenn darüber eines Turmes Frommes Läuten mit dem Rauschen Sich vermischt des Tannensturmes, Kann ich lange Stunden lauschen. Dann ergreift wie eine Sage, Nächtlich am Kamin gelesen, Das Gedächnis mich der Tage, Da ich hier zu Haus gewesen. Da die Fernen edler, weicher, Da die tannenforstbekränzten Berge seliger und reicher Mir im Knabenauge glänzten.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 75.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Schwarzwald", written 1901, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Von Wanderungen, first published 1919 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Rudolf Brömel (b. 1877), "Schwarzwald", published 1945-8 [ voice and piano ], from Hermann Hesse Lieder, no. 14 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Theophil Laitenberger (1903 - 1996), "Schwarzwald" [ mixed chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Ophoven (1914 - 2004), "Schwarzwald", published 1957 [ four-part men's chorus a cappella ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Schwarzwald", op. 42a no. 13 (1977) [ medium voice and piano ], from Stufen - Hesse-Lieder 1977 für mittlere Singstimme, no. 13 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The Black Forest", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Forêt Noire", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-01
Line count: 16
Word count: 68
Strangely lovely alignments of hills, Dark mountains, bright meadows, Red rocky cliffs, brown gullies, Suffused with the shadows of pines! When the pious pealing Of a tower mingles with the soughing Of the storm of pines, I can listen for many long hours. Then I am gripped as if by A legend read nightly at the fireplace, By the memory of the days When this was my home. When the distances more nobly, more softly, When the pine-forest-crowned mountains More blissfully and more richly Shone in my eyes as a young lad.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Schwarzwald", written 1901, appears in Neue deutsche Lyriker III , in Von Wanderungen, first published 1919
This text was added to the website: 2019-05-30
Line count: 16
Word count: 92