Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Turteltaube, du klagest so laut Und raubest dem Armen seinen einzigen Trost, Süßen vergessenden Schlaf. Turteltaub', ich jammre wie du, Und berge den Jammer in's verwundete Herz, In die verschlossene Brust. Ach, die hart verteilende Liebe! Sie gab dir die laute Jammerklage zum Trost, Mir den verstummenden Gram!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Gottfried Herder (1744 - 1803) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Die laute Klage", WoO. 135. [text verified 1 time]
- by A. T. Clauset , "Turteltaube, du klagest so laut", published 1895 [voice and piano], from Andenken. Drei Albumblätter für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte, no. 2, Rotterdam, Lichtenauer [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Marco Giustini) , title 1: "Il forte lamento", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "De luide klaagzang", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Pilar Lirio
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 48
Colomba, tu piangi così forte E togli al povero la sua unica consolazione, Il dolce sonno dell'oblio. Colomba, io mi lamento come te, Ed occulto il mio lamento nel cuore ferito, Nel petto serrato. Ah, come sono ingiusti i doni dell'amore! A te ha dato il forte lamento come consolazione, A me questa silenziosa pena!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2009 by Marco Giustini, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-27
Line count: 9
Word count: 55