Dreaming when Dawn's Left Hand was in the Sky I heard a Voice within the Tavern cry," Awake, my Little ones, and fill the Cup" Before Life's Liquor in its Cup be dry."
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Edward Fitzgerald (1809 - 1883), appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, First Edition, no. 2, first published 1859 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- a text in Persian (Farsi) by Hakim Omar Khayyám (c1048 - c1122) [text unavailable]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Edward Fitzgerald (1809 - 1883) , no title, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Third Edition, no. 2, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Fourth Edition, no. 2, first published 1872 FRE ; composed by Granville Ransome Bantock, Sir, Liza Lehmann.
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Jean-Baptiste Nicolas (1814 - 1875) , no title, appears in Les Quatrains de Khèyam, no. 1, first published 1867 ENG ENG ENG ; composed by Germain Desbonnet.
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2009-08-06
Line count: 4
Word count: 33