Before the phantom of False morning died Methought a Voice within the Tavern cried: "When all the Temple is prepared within Why nods the drowsy Worshipper outside?"
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Edward Fitzgerald (1809 - 1883), no title, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Third Edition, no. 2, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Fourth Edition, no. 2, first published 1872 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- a text in Persian (Farsi) by Hakim Omar Khayyám (c1048 - c1122) [text unavailable]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Granville Ransome Bantock, Sir (1868 - 1946), "Before the phantom of False morning died", published 1906 [ soli, chorus, and orchestra ], from Omar Khayyám, Part I, no. 2, Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [sung text not yet checked]
- by Liza Lehmann (1862 - 1918), "Before the phantom of False morning died", 1896 [ tenor and piano ], from In a Persian Garden, no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Henry Houseley (1852? - 1925), "Part I", published 1917 [ soli, chorus, and orchestra ], from cantata Omar Khayyám, no. 1, cantata ; NY : H. W. Gray
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Jean-Baptiste Nicolas (1814 - 1875) , no title, appears in Les Quatrains de Khèyam, no. 1, first published 1867 ; composed by Germain Desbonnet.
Researcher for this text: Barbara Miller
This text was added to the website: 2006-04-08
Line count: 4
Word count: 27