Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Non giova il sospirar, no, Non lagrimar per me. Tirsi più tuo non è, Licori infida; Godi del nuovo amor. Troverà tirsi ancor Ninfa, se non più bella, Almen di te più fida, sì.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in L'Angelica [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gaetano Donizetti (1797 - 1848), "Non giova il sospirar" [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Nicola Vaccaj (1790 - 1848), "Non giova il sospirar" [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Mario Giuseppe Genesi) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: John Glenn Paton [Guest Editor] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 34
Sighing is useless now Don't long for me, Tirsi won't be yours any more, Treacherous Licori, Triumphant of your new lover, And so Tirsi will have to search for If not a Nymph prettier than you At least more reliable, that'll be sure.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2009 by Mario Giuseppe Genesi, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in L'Angelica
This text was added to the website: 2009-08-09
Line count: 8
Word count: 43