Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Zwei Geliebte, treu verbunden, Gehen durch die Welt spazoren, Jedes hat sein Herz verloren, Doch das Andre hat's gefunden. Jeder trägt die leichte Last Wie die Uhr am Kettchen fast. Also geht's auf Steg und Wegen Ruhig fort mit gleichen Schlägen. "Schau, die können's!" sagen ferne An der Himmelshöh' die Sterne. "Wer sind sie?" gleich schrei'n [sie]1 da: "Sigmund und Emilia!"
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Brahms: "wir"
- by Gottfried Keller (1819 - 1890), "Hochzeitslied" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Kleine Hochzeits-Kantate", WoO. 16 (1874). [SATB chorus, piano] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Little Wedding Cantata", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Deux amants fidèlement liés", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2005-08-29
Line count: 12
Word count: 61
Two lovers, devotedly paired, Stroll through the world, Each of them has lost his heart, But the other one has found it. Each bears the light burden As the watch attaches to the chain. Thus it goes on paths and byways Quietly onward with identical beats. "Look, they can do it!" speak in the distance The stars on the heights of heaven, "Who are they?" immediately we call out: Sigmund and Emilia!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2009 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2009-11-21
Line count: 12
Word count: 72