Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Già il sole dal Gange Più chiaro sfavilla, E terge ogni stilla Dell'alba che piange. Col raggio dorato Ingemma ogni stelo, E gli astri del cielo Dipinge nel prato.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alessandro Scarlatti (1659 - 1725), "Già il sole dal Gange", first performed 1680, from opera L'honestà negli amori [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Already, from over the Ganges, the sun", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Eric Bittar) , "Déjà le soleil du Gange", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Schon glänzt die Sonne heller vom Ganges her", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "Os cionn Abhainn na Gainséis’", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Débora Letícia Batista) , "Já o sol do Ganges", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Aminta Iriarte) , "Ya el sol sobre el Ganges", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 29
Déjà le soleil du Gange Plus clair étincelle Et sèche chaque goutte de l'aube qui pleure. De son rayon doré Il orne chaque brin d'herbe de joyaux, Et avec les étoiles du ciel Il peint la prairie.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2009 by Eric Bittar, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Eric Bittar.  Contact: eric (DOT) bittar (AT) free (DOT) frIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2009-12-07
Line count: 8
Word count: 37