Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Du bist noch so von Mutter her. Dein Wesen von dem feinen Ungefähr, Das nur im ungestörten Garten weht. Wie ist das seltsam, deine Wiege steht In einer großen trüben Stadt, Die außer dir doch keine Blumen hat.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Hans Heinrich Ehrler, Lieder an ein Mädchen, München: Albert Langen, , page 17.
- by Hans Heinrich Ehrler (1872 - 1951), no title, appears in Lieder an ein Mädchen [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Margarete Voigt-Schweikert (1887 - 1957), "Du bist noch so von Mutter her", op. 15 no. 2 (1922) [ tenor and piano ], from Lieder an ein Mädchen nach Gedichten von Hans Heinrich Ehrler, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "You are still as you came from your mother", copyright © 2022, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2022-09-18
Line count: 6
Word count: 38
You are still as you came from your mother. Your nature [is] of the delicate approximation That only wafts in an undisturbed garden. How strange that is; your cradle stands In a great, dreary city That aside from you has no flowers.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2022 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hans Heinrich Ehrler (1872 - 1951), no title, appears in Lieder an ein Mädchen
This text was added to the website: 2022-10-05
Line count: 6
Word count: 42