Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich hab' es längst gesagt: So sehr mich alles plagt, So wenig fällt mein Mut vor Kummer hin; Die Hoffnung ist mein Schild, Und wenn die Mißgunst billt, So such ich Trost bei mir, Und bleibe, wie ich bin.
- by Johann Christian Günther (1695 - 1723), appears in Weltliche Oden oder Lieder [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791), "Die grossmütige Gelassenheit", K. 149. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791), "Die grossmütige Gelassenheit", K. 125d [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Waardige kalmte", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "La résignation noble", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Nobile rassegnazione", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 7
Word count: 39
Lo dico da tempo: sebbene mi affligga ogni cosa, il mio coraggio resiste agli affanni; la speranza è il mio scudo, e se l'invidia si accanisce, cerco conforto in me stesso e rimango quello che sono.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2010 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Christian Günther (1695 - 1723), appears in Weltliche Oden oder Lieder
This text was added to the website: 2010-03-09
Line count: 7
Word count: 36