Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Selig sind, die da Leid tragen, denn sie sollen getröstet werden. Die mit Tränen säen, werden mit Freuden ernten. Sie gehen hin und weinen und tragen edlen Samen, und kommen mit Freuden und bringen ihre Garben.
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts , from Matthew 5:4, Psalm 126:5-6 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Selig sind, die da Leid tragen", op. 45 no. 1 [chorus and orchestra], from Ein deutsches Requiem, no. 1. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Ahmed E. Ismail) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Beati quelli che soffrono", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- EST Estonian (Eesti keel) (Bible or other Sacred Texts)
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , title 1: "Benaventurats els afligits", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Zalig zijn die nu leed dragen", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ahmed E. Ismail
This text was added to the website: 2006-01-02
Line count: 8
Word count: 36
Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted. They who sow in tears, shall reap in joy. Go forth and cry, bearing precious seed, and come with joy bearing their sheaves.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Ahmed E. Ismail, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Bible or other Sacred Texts , from Matthew 5:4, Psalm 126:5-6
This text was added to the website: 2010-04-04
Line count: 8
Word count: 33