Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Malinconia, Ninfa gentile, la vita mia consacro a te; i tuoi piaceri chi tiene a vile, ai piacer veri nato non è. Fonti e colline chiesi agli Dei; m'udiro alfine, pago io vivrò, né mai quel fonte co' desir miei, né mai quel monte trapasserò.
- by Ippolito Pindemonte (1753 - 1828) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Vincenzo Bellini (1801 - 1835), "Malinconia, Ninfa gentile", from Sei Ariette, no. 1. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Antonio Giuliano) , title 1: "Melancholy, gentle nymph", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Melancholie, sanftmütige Nymphe", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Víctor Sampietro Crespo) , title 1: "Melancolía, Ninfa gentil", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
Melancolía, Ninfa gentil, A ti consagro mi vida, Quien desprecia tus placeres, No ha nacido para los auténticos placeres. Fuentes y colinas pedí a los dioses; Finalmente me escucharon, satisfecho viviré, Aunque jamás con mis deseos Iré más allá de aquella fuente ni de aquel monte.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to Spanish (Español) copyright © 2010 by Víctor Sampietro Crespo, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Víctor Sampietro Crespo.  Contact: vicsampietro (AT) hotmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2010-11-30
Line count: 8
Word count: 46