Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Hirten wachen im Feld; Nacht ist rings auf der Welt; Wach sind die Hirten alleine Im Haine. Und ein Engel so licht Grüßet die Hirten und spricht: "Christ, das Heil aller Frommen, Ist kommen!" Engel singen umher: "Gott im Himmel sei Ehr! Und den Menschen hienieden Sei Frieden!" Eilen die Hirten fort, Eilen zum heilgen Ort, Beten an in den Windlein Das Kindlein.
- by Peter Cornelius (1824 - 1874) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Peter Cornelius (1824 - 1874), "Die Hirten", op. 8 no. 2b (1870), published 1871 [voice and piano], from Weihnachtslieder, no. 2b, Leipzig, Fritzsch [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "The shepherds", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , title 1: "I pastori", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 16
Word count: 63
I pastori vegliano nei campi; la notte regna sul mondo; vegliano solo i pastori nella campagna. Ed un angelo luminoso saluta i pastori e annuncia: "Cristo, la salvezza dei giusti, è arrivato!" Angeli cantano intorno: "A Dio in cielo sia gloria! Ed agli uomini quaggiù sia pace!" Si affrettano I pastori, si affrettano verso il luogo santo, pregano il Bambino in fasce.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2011 by Amelia Maria Imbarrato, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Amelia Maria Imbarrato. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2011-01-07
Line count: 16
Word count: 62