Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mild wie ein Lufthauch im Mai, rein wie die Perle im Meer, klar wie der Himmel in Rom, so still wie die Mondnacht bist du. Kalt wie der Gletscher der Alp, fest wie der Felsen, der Fels von Granit, ruhig wie's Wasser im See, wie Gott unergründlich bist du! Denn aus den Sphären des Lichts, denn aus den Welten der Schönheit und Liebe, denn aus den Höhen des Alls, denn aus den Tiefen des Seins kommst du!
- by Elim Petrovich Metschersky, Prince (1808 - 1844) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz (Ferenc) Liszt (1811 - 1886), "Bist du", S. 277 no. 1 (1844), published 1844. [voice and piano] [text verified 1 time]
- by Franz (Ferenc) Liszt (1811 - 1886), "Bist du", S. 277 no. 2 (1878), published 1879. [voice and piano] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "You are", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Sylvain Labartette) , title 1: "Tu es", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Sei tu", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Virginia Knight
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 77
As mild as the breath of a breeze in May, As pure as the pearl in the sea, As clear as the sky in Rome, As quiet as a moonlit night are you. As cold as a glacier in the Alps, As firm as a rock, a rock of granite, As calm as the waters of a lake, As unfathomable as God are you! For from the spheres of light, For from the worlds of beauty and love, For from the heights of the universe, For from the depths of being you come!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2011-04-15
Line count: 12
Word count: 93