Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tenebrae factae sunt, dum crucifixissent Jesum Judaei: et [circa]1 horam nonam exclamavit Jesus voce magna: Deus meus, ut quid me dereliquisti? Et inclinato capite, emisit spiritum. Exclamans Jesus voce magna, ait: Pater, in manus tuas commendo spiritum meum.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Charpentier: "circam"
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Johann Gottfried) Heinrich Bellermann (1832 - 1903), "Tenebrae factae sunt", op. 11 (3 Motetten für 4 Singstimme a capella) no. 3, published 1866 [vocal quartet a cappella], Berlin, Trautwein [text not verified]
- by Marc-Antoine Charpentier (1634 - 1704), "Responsorium", H. 129. [text verified 1 time]
- by Francis Poulenc (1899 - 1963), "Tenebrae factae sunt" [chorus], from Quatre motets pour un temps de pénitence, no. 3, motet [text verified 1 time]
Set in a modified version by Marc-Antoine Charpentier.
Set in a modified version by Charles Gounod.
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Ahmed E. Ismail) , title 1: "Shadows covered the earth", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Het was donker geworden"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title unknown, copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title unknown, copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ahmed E. Ismail
This text was added to the website: 2005-03-22
Line count: 6
Word count: 38
Les ténèbres se firent, quand ils crucifièrent Jésus de Judée. Et à la neuvième heure Jésus cria d'une voix forte : mon Dieu, pourquoi m'as-tu abandonné ? Et la tête penchée il rendit l'âme. en expirant Jésus d'une voix forte dit : Père, dans tes mains je remets mon âme.
About the headline (FAQ)Charpentier's title: "Répons"
- Translation from Latin to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2011-09-04
Line count: 6
Word count: 50