Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Du bist ein Kind wie all die vielen, die auf der ganzen Erde sind, wie all die anderen Gespielen und doch bist du so anders, Kind. Du bist ein Kind, dem Heimat fehlt, in allen Städten bist du fremd. So lang dich nicht das Wort beseelt: Heimat, dein Herz ist ungehemmt.
- by Erika Taube (1913 - 1944), "Ein jüdisches Kind" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Ein jüdisches Kind", 2011 [medium voice or low voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carlo Sigmund Taube (1897 - 1944), "Ein jüdisches Kind" [soprano and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "A Jewish child", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "A jewish child", written 2011, copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Un enfant juif", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Bertram Kottmann
This text was added to the website: 2011-09-04
Line count: 8
Word count: 51
You are a child like all the others that live all over our earth, like all your world-wide sisters, brothers and yet you are of different worth: You are a child without a home, you are a stranger everywhere - until these words will be your own: homeland, your heart is anywhere.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2011-09-08
Line count: 8
Word count: 52