Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn du am Felsenhange standst alleine, Unten im Walde Vögel seltsam sangen Und Hörner aus der Ferne irrend klangen, Als ob die Heimat drüben nach dir weine, War's niemals da, als riefe dich die Eine, Deine? Lockt' dich kein Weh, kein brünstiges Verlangen Nach andrer Zeit, die lange schon vergangen, Auf ewig einzugehn in grüne Scheine? Gebirge dunkelblau steigt aus der Ferne, Und von den Gipfeln führt des Bundes Bogen Als Brücke weit in unbekannte Lande. Geheimnisvoll gehn oben goldne Sterne, Unten erbraust viel Land in dunklen Wogen -- Was zögerst du am unbekannten Rande?
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), no title, appears in Gedichte, in 6. Geistliche Gedichte, in Jugendandacht, no. 8 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Winfried (Petrus Ignatius) Zillig (1905 - 1963), "Jugendandacht", op. 33 no. 1 (1945), orchestrated 1951 [soprano and orchestra], from Sieben Sonette nach Gedichten von Joseph von Eichendorff, no. 1. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Meditation on Youth", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2011-09-09
Line count: 14
Word count: 94
When you stood alone on the rocky slope, Down in the woods the birds sang oddly And horns rang out bewilderingly from far away, As if your homeland yonder were weeping for you, Did you never feel as if you were being called by One, [by] Yours? Did no pain lure you, no fervid longing For another time, that had long passed, [No longing] to enter forever into green brilliancy? Mountain ranges, dark blue, rise out of the distance, And from the peaks the [rain]bow of the covenant Stretches as a bridge far into unknown lands. Above, golden stars move mysteriously, Below, much land is churning in dark waves -- Why are you hesitating at the edge of the unknown?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), no title, appears in Gedichte, in 6. Geistliche Gedichte, in Jugendandacht, no. 8
This text was added to the website: 2011-11-12
Line count: 14
Word count: 119