Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Quand mon mari vient de dehors Ma rente est d'etre battue ; Il prend la cuillier du pot, A la tête il me la rue, J'ai grand peur qu'il ne me tue ; C'est un faux villain jaloux C'est un villain rioteux, gromeleux ; Je suis jeune et il est vieux.
Quand mon mary vient de dehors Ma rente est d'estre batue, Il prend la cuillier du pot, A la teste il me la rue, J'ay grand peur qu'il ne me tue, C'est vn faux villain jaloux C'est vn villain rioteux, grommeleux : Je suis jeune & il est vieux.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Roland de Lassus (1532 - 1594), "Quand mon mari vient de dehors", 1564. [vocal quintet for 2 tenors, 2 baritones, and bass] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (David Wyatt) , title 1: "When my old man comes in", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Marjan Smit) , title 1: "Als mijn man van buiten terugkomt", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Auditorium du Louvre
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 51
When my old man comes in, the sot, A merry dance then I get led. He takes the ladle from the pot And swings it right around my head -- I really think he'll leave me dead. In his jealousy he's bold Ugly, grumbling and cold -- Yet I'm young and he is old!
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2012 by David Wyatt, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2012-05-18
Line count: 8
Word count: 52