Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum, Virgo serena. Ave cujus conceptio, Solemni plena gaudio, Coelestia, terrestria Nova replet laetitia. Ave cujus nativitas Nostra fuit solemnitas, Ut Lucifer, lux oriens, Verum solem praeveniens. Ave pia humilitas, Sine viro foecunditas, Cujus annunciatio Nostra fuit [salvatio]1. Ave vera virginitas, Immaculata castitas, Cujus purificatio Nostra fuit purgatio. Ave praeclara omnibus Angelicis virtutibus, [Cujus fuit assumptio Nostra glorificatio]2. O Mater Dei, Memento mei. Amen
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 Senfl: "redemptio"
2 Senfl: "Cuius assumptio/ nostra fuit glorificatio"
- by Josquin des Prez (c1440 - 1521), "Ave Maria, gratia plena" [chorus] [text verified 1 time]
- by Ludwig Senfl (c1490 - 1543), "Ave maria" [vocal sextet] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (David Wyatt) , title 1: "Hail Mary, full of grace", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Ton Rooijmans) , title 1: "Nous vous saluons, Marie"
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2011-05-13
Line count: 25
Word count: 69
Hail Mary, full of grace God is with you, serene Virgin. Hail, she whose conception Filled with heavenly celebration Fills everything in heaven and on earth With new joy. Hail, she whose birth Was our celebration As Lucifer, light of the east, Went ahead of the true sun. Hail her pious humility Her fruitfulness without a man, She whose annunciation Was our salvation. Hail her true virginity Her unspotted chastity Whose purification Was our cleansing. Hail her, outstanding in all Angelic virtues, Whose assumption was Our glorification. O Mother of God Remember me. Amen.
- Translation from Latin to English copyright © 2012 by David Wyatt, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2012-05-30
Line count: 25
Word count: 94