Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Du bist gemacht zu wandern, Und ich gemacht zu ruhn. Du gehest nun zu andern. Was soll ich Arme thun? Ich kann von dir nur träumen ; O kehr aus fernen Räumen So schön mir, wie du scheidest nun!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Frühling Liebster, no. 4 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reinhold Bergell (b. 1841), "Frühling Liebster", published 1880 [ voice and piano ], from Drei Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung, 4. Heft, no. 2, Danzig, Weber [sung text not yet checked]
- by Franz Krinninger , "Du bist gemacht zu wandern", op. 6 (Fünf zweistimmige Lieder für Sopran und Alt mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1876 [ vocal duet for soprano and alto with piano ], Wien, Kratochwill [sung text not yet checked]
- by Max Stange (1856 - 1932), "Du bist gemacht zu wandern ", op. 4 (Drei Lieder für 1 hohe Stimme mit Pianoforte) no. 1, published 1882 [ high voice and piano ], Berlin, Raabe & Plothow [sung text not yet checked]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), [adaptation] ; composed by Karl Martin Reinthaler.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2009-02-28
Line count: 7
Word count: 39
You were created to wander, And I was created to rest. You now go off to others. What should I poor wretch do? I can only dream of you; From distant regions, oh return To me as handsome as you are as you depart!
About the headline (FAQ)Title translations: "Spring beloved" and "You were created to wander"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2012 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Frühling Liebster, no. 4
This text was added to the website: 2012-09-02
Line count: 7
Word count: 44