Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nebel, stiller Nebel über Meer und Land. Totenstill die Watten, totenstill der Strand. Trauer, leise Trauer deckt die Erde zu. Seele, liebe Seele, schweig und träum auch du.
- by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914), "Nebel am Wattenmeer", appears in Melancholie [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Ernest Vietor (flourished 1905-1930), "Nebel am Wattenmeer", op. 9 no. 5 (1932) [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , "Fog on the wadden sea", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (Bertram Kottmann) , "Fog on the wadden sea", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Brouillard à marée basse", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Nebbia sulla bassa costa", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2004-11-24
Line count: 4
Word count: 28
Brouillard, brouillard silencieux sur mer et sur terre. Silence de mort sur l'estran, silence de mort sur la plage. Un deuil, un deuil léger recouvre la terre. Âme, chère âme, tu te tais aussi et rêves.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Pierre Mathé, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Christian Morgenstern (1871 - 1914), "Nebel am Wattenmeer", appears in Melancholie
This text was added to the website: 2012-09-27
Line count: 4
Word count: 36