Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ah! dolente partita! ah, fin de la mia vita! da te parto e non moro? E pur i' provo la pena de la morte e sento nel partire un vivace morire, che dà vita al dolore per far che moia immortalmente il core.
- by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), appears in Il Pastor Fido, Act III, Scene 3, lines 498-505 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Ah! dolente partita!", published 1603 [ vocal quintet], from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 1, madrigal [text verified 1 time]
- by Giaches de Wert (1535 - 1596), "Ah, dolente partita", published 1595 [five-part chorus], from Undecimo Libro de Madrigali a cinque voci [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Ah ! départ douloureux !", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 43
Ah ! départ douloureux ! ah ! fin de ma vie ! je te quitte et je ne meurs pas ? et cependant j'éprouve la douleur de la mort. Je sens dans ce partir un vivace mourir, qui donne vie à la douleur pour faire qu'immortellement meure le cœur.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2012 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), appears in Il Pastor Fido, Act III, Scene 3, lines 498-505
This text was added to the website: 2013-01-10
Line count: 8
Word count: 49