Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
A un giro sol de' begl'occhi lucenti ride l'aria d'intorno, e 'l mar s'acqueta e i venti, e si fa il ciel d'un altro lume adorno, sol io le luci ho lagrimose e meste. Certo quando nasceste cosí crudel e ria, nacque la morte mia.
- by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), appears in Rime, without number [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "A un giro sol de' begl'occhi lucenti", published 1603 [ vocal quintet], from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 11, madrigal [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "À un seul regard de tes beaux yeux brillants", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
À un seul regard de tes beaux yeux brillants L'air rit tout autour, et la mer se calme ainsi que les vents, et si le ciel fait que cette lumière pare d'autres, je suis seul dont les yeux sont pleins de larmes et de tristesse. Sûrement, quand tu naquis, si cruelle et coupable, ma mort naquit.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), appears in Rime, without number
This text was added to the website: 2013-02-28
Line count: 8
Word count: 56