Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Frägt die Velt die alte Kashe1 Tra la la la ... Entfernt men Tra la la la ... Un as men will kenne sagen Tra la la la ... Frägt die Velt die alte Kashe Tra la la la ...
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937), "Frägt die Velt", 1914 [ voice and piano ], from Deux mélodies hébraïques, no. 2, also set in French (Français) [sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ; composed by Maurice Ravel.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "If the world asks the old question", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2009-02-03
Line count: 8
Word count: 40
If the world asks the old question Tra la tra la la la la ... One answers: Tra la la la la la la ... And if one wishes, [one] can say Tra la la la tra la la la If the world asks the old question Tra la la la la la la...
- Translation from Yiddish (יידיש) to English copyright © 2013 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2013-06-10
Line count: 8
Word count: 54