Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
O Frühlingsabenddämmerung! O laues, lindes Weh'n, Ihr Blütenbäume, sprecht, was tut ihr so zusammensteh'n? Vertraut ihr das Geheimnis euch Von uns'rer Liebe süß? Was flüstert ihr ein ander zu Von uns'rer Liebe süß?
- by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Geheimnis", appears in Vermischte Gedichte, first published 1869 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Geheimnis", op. 71 (Fünf Gesänge) no. 3 (1877), published 1877 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Secret", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Secret", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Geheim", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:23
Line count: 8
Word count: 33
Ô crépuscule du printemps ! Ô brises tièdes et douces, Arbres en fleurs, parlez, que faites-vous Si près les uns des autres ? Vous confiez-vous le secret De notre doux amour ? Que vous chuchotez-vous Sur notre doux amour ?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Geheimnis", appears in Vermischte Gedichte, first published 1869
Text added to the website: 2013-09-10 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:19
Line count: 8
Word count: 40