Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
O Frühlingsabenddämmerung! O laues, lindes Weh'n, Ihr Blütenbäume, sprecht, was tut ihr so zusammensteh'n? Vertraut ihr das Geheimnis euch Von uns'rer Liebe süß? Was flüstert ihr ein ander zu Von uns'rer Liebe süß?
- by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Geheimnis", appears in Vermischte Gedichte, first published 1869 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Geheimnis", op. 71 (Fünf Gesänge) no. 3 (1877), published 1877 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Secret", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Secret", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Geheim", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 33
Ô crépuscule du printemps ! Ô brises tièdes et douces, Arbres en fleurs, parlez, que faites-vous Si près les uns des autres ? Vous confiez-vous le secret De notre doux amour ? Que vous chuchotez-vous Sur notre doux amour ?
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Karl August Candidus (1817 - 1872), "Geheimnis", appears in Vermischte Gedichte, first published 1869
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-10
Line count: 8
Word count: 40