Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
I have been there before thee, O my love! Each winding way I know and all the flowers, The shadowy cypress trees, the twilight grove, Where rest, in fragrant sleep, the enchanted hours. I have been there before thee. At the end There stands a gate through which thou too must pass. When thou shalt reach it, God in mercy send Thou say no bitterer word, love, than "Alas!"
- by Mary Coleridge (1861 - 1907), "Armida's garden", appears in Poems, no. 35, first published 1907 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Charles Hubert Hastings Parry, Sir (1848 - 1918), "Armida's garden", 1908, published 1909 [voice and piano], from the collection English Lyrics, Ninth Set, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Sílvia Pujalte Piñán) , title 1: "El jardí d'Armida", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 69
He estat allà abans de tu, o amor meu! Conec cada camí sinuós i totes les flors, els ombrívols xiprers, l'arbreda al crepuscle, a on descansen, en un somni fragant, les hores encantades. He estat allà abans de tu. Al final hi ha una porta que tu també hauries de travessar. Quan hi arribaràs, Déu misericordiós t'hi enviï, no diràs paraula més amarga, amor, que "ai las!"
- Translation from English to Catalan (Català) copyright © 2013 by Sílvia Pujalte Piñán, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Mary Coleridge (1861 - 1907), "Armida's garden", appears in Poems, no. 35, first published 1907
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-11
Line count: 8
Word count: 67