Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tief in Waldeinsamkeit ein Grab! ein Grab! Von allen Menschen ferne, ja! recht ferne! Da senkt den müden Sänger bald hinab, Wann funkeln durchs Gezweig die Abendsterne. Dann aber geht und laßt das Grab in Ruh'! Verborgen und vergessen werd' die Stätte! Efeu und Moos deck' ganz den Hügel zu, Und nur das wunde Reh find' ihn zum Bette.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Justinus (Andreas Christian) Kerner (1786 - 1862), "Letzte Bitte", appears in Gedichte, in Die lyrischen Gedichte [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Felix von Woyrsch (1860 - 1944), "Tief in Waldeinsamkeit", op. 67 (Lieder und Gesänge) no. 8, published 1927. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title unknown, copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2008-09-14
Line count: 8
Word count: 59
Deep in the solitude of the forest a grave! a grave! Far from all people, yes! quite far! There place the tired singer soon into the earth, When the evening stars are twinkling through the branches. But then go and leave the grave in peace! May the spot become hidden and forgotten! May ivy and moss completely cover the mound, And [may] only the wounded deer find a bed there.
About the headline (FAQ)English poem title: "Last plea"
English song title: "Deep in the solitude of the forest"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Justinus (Andreas Christian) Kerner (1786 - 1862), "Letzte Bitte", appears in Gedichte, in Die lyrischen Gedichte
This text was added to the website: 2013-10-14
Line count: 8
Word count: 70