Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Редеет облаков летучая гряда. Звезда печальная, вечерняя звезда! Твой луч осеребрил увядшие равнины, И дремлющий залив, и чёрных скал вершины. Люблю твой слабый свет в небесной вышине; Он думы разбудил, уснувшие во мне: Я помню твой восход, знакомое светило, Над мирною страной, где всё для сердца мило, Где стройны тополы в долинах вознеслись, Где дремлет нежный мирт и тёмный кипарис, И сладостно шумят полуденные волны. Там некогда в горах, сердечной думы полный, Над морем я влачил задумчивую лень, Когда на хижины сходила ночи тень — И дева юная во мгле тебя искала И именем своим подругам называла.
About the headline (FAQ)Note on Transliterations
- by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Pushkin (1799 - 1837), no title, written 1820 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Vasily Sergeyevich Kalinnikov (1866 - 1901), "Элегия" [ sung text not verified ]
- by Nikolai Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov (1844 - 1908), "Редеет облаков", op. 42 (Четыре романса (Chetyre romansa)) no. 3. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Dmitri Nikolaevich Smirnov) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "La chaîne de nuages s'amincit dans le ciel", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Kyle Gee) , title 1: "The floating chain of clouds is thinning", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sergey Rybin) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Dmitri Smirnov
The flying chain of clouds is thinning in the sky. O you, the Evening Star, the star of woe on high, Your beam is silvering the distant withered plains, And both the dreamy bay, and murky rocky chains. I love your vague glow there in the heavenly height; And all my sleepy thoughts were woken by your light. I do remember you, o star how you were rising, Above the peaceful land where everything was pleasing, Where slender poplars raised their crowns above the dales, Where tender myrtles slept and cypress in dark veils, Where in the middle of day the songs of waves were haunting. Long time ago when I was there upon the mountain Above the sea I dragged my thoughtful laziness, When all the huts were drowned into the sleepiness, A maid who looked for you into the darkness came And to her lady friends she called you by her name.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Singable translation by Dmitri Nikolaevich Smirnov (b. 1948), copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Pushkin (1799 - 1837), no title, written 1820
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]