Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Zu Rauch muß werden der Erde Schmelz und des Himmels Azur auch.
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sky Shields) , title 1: "Smoke", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Fumée", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Tot rook", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sky Shields
This text was added to the website: 2008-10-20
Line count: 2
Word count: 12
La fonte de la terre doit devenir fumée ainsi que l'azur du ciel.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2013-10-18
Line count: 2
Word count: 13