Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wir Kinder im Juli geboren Lieben den Duft des weißen Jasmin, Wir wandern an blühenden Gärten hin Still und in schwere Träume verloren. Unser Bruder ist der scharlachene Mohn, Der brennt in flackernden Schauern Im Ährenfeld und auf den heißen Mauern, Dann treibt seine Blätter der Wind davon. Wie eine Julinacht will unser Leben Traumbeladen seinen Reigen vollenden, Träumen und heißen Erntefesten ergeben, Kränze von Ähren und rotem Mohn in den Händen.
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 156-157.
- by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Julikinder", written 1904, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Julius Klaas (1888 - 1965), "Julikinder", op. 29 no. 7 (1944). [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Friedrich Wilhelm Lothar (1885 - ?), "Julikinder", op. 86 no. 7. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ekkehart Oehler , "Julikinder", 1957. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carl von Szelle , "Julikinder", 1925 [voice and piano], from Sechszehn [sic] Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 16. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Heinz Zabel , "Julikinder", <<1949 [voice and piano], from Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 6. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Children of July", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Enfants de juillet", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2009-05-08
Line count: 12
Word count: 72
We children, born in July, Love the scent of the white jasmine, We wander along beside blooming gardens Silent and lost in deep dreams. Our brother is the scarlet poppy That burns in flickering shivers In the wheat-fields and upon the hot stone walls; Then the wind scatters its petals. Like a night in July, dream-laden, our life Wishes to complete its roundelay, Yielding to dreams and to fervent harvest festivals With wreaths of wheat and red poppies in hand.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Julikinder", written 1904, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911
This text was added to the website: 2013-11-12
Line count: 12
Word count: 80