Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wer nicht, wenn warm von Hand zu Hand der Punsch im Kreise geht, der Freude voll're Lust empfand, der schleiche schnell hinweg. Wir trinken alle hocherfreut, so lang uns Punsch die Kumme1 beut.
1 Kumme = container
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Punschlied", WoO. 111 (1790-2?). [unison chorus] [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Evan Fein) , title 1: "Punch song", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Chanson du punch", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Punchlied", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Peter Brixius
This text was added to the website: 2008-05-29
Line count: 6
Word count: 33
Celui qui ne peut pas, quand de main en main Va le punch en rond, Trouver le plaisir plein de joie S'approche rapidement de la fin. Nous buvons tous pleins de joie, Aussi longtemps que notre coupe offre du punch.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2014-01-09
Line count: 6
Word count: 40