Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nun hast du mir den ersten Schmerz gethan, Der aber traf. Du schläfst, du harter, unbarmherz'ger Mann, Den Todesschlaf. Es blicket die Verlass'ne vor sich hin, Die Welt ist leer. Geliebet hab' ich und gelebt, ich bin Nicht lebend mehr. Ich zieh' mich in mein Inn'res still zurück, Der Schleier fällt, Da hab' ich dich und mein [vergang'nes]1 Glück, Du meine Welt!
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte von Adelbert von Chamisso, Neunzehnte Auflage (19th edition), Berlin, Weidmannsche Buchhandlung, 1869, pages 15-16.
Note: modernized spelling would change "gethan" to "getan".
Note (provided by Iain Sneddon) : Loewe's song is not part of his opus 60. His song cycle titled Frauenliebe ends peacefully with married bliss: 'Du meine wonne, du mein Lust!'. Loewe happened to set the remaining poems (this one was only a sketch) and Max Runze was correct to include these unpublished songs in his complete edition in the positions they would have occupied if Loewe had wanted to include them, so they may be considered to be part of the extended cycle, but not opus 60.1 Loewe, Schumann: "verlornes"
- by Adelbert von Chamisso (1781 - 1838), no title, appears in Lieder und lyrisch epische Gedichte, in Frauen-Liebe und Leben, no. 8, first published 1829 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Nicolas Bacri (b. 1961), "Nun hast du mir ", op. 126a no. 3 (2012), first performed 2013 [ voice and piano ], from Drei romantische Liebesgesänge, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe (1796 - 1869), "Nun hast du mir den ersten Schmerz getan", 1836 [ alto voice, piano ], from Frauenliebe, Liederkranz von Chamisso, no. 8 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Nun hast du mir den ersten Schmerz getan", op. 42 no. 8 (1840), published 1843 [ voice and piano ], from Frauenliebe und -Leben, no. 8, Leipzig, Whistling [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ernest Vietor (flourished 1905-1930), "Nun hast du mir den ersten Schmerz getan", op. 14 no. 8 (1936) [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CHI Chinese (中文) (Mei Foong Ang) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DAN Danish (Dansk) (Maryanna Morthensen) , "Nu har du såret mig for første gang", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Nu heb je mij voor 't eerst verdriet gedaan", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Daniel Platt) , "Now thou hast given me, for the first time, pain", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Kyle Gee) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Là, pour la première fois, tu m'as fait mal", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- HEB Hebrew (עברית) (Max Mader) (Tsippora Samberg) , copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Ora per la prima volta mi hai fatto male", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- RUS Russian (Русский) (Natalia Vyshynska) , "Нынче ты впервые причинил мне боль", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Bertram Kottmann
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 62
Now you’ve hurt me for the first time - but this blow struck deep. You sleep, you hard, cruel man, the sleep of death. The abandoned one stares ahead, the world is completely empty. I’ve loved and lived; I’m no longer living. I quietly withdraw into my inner self; the veil falls. Only there do I have you and my lost happiness, you who were my world!
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Kyle Gee, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Kyle Gee.  Contact: kyleanthonygee (AT) gmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Adelbert von Chamisso (1781 - 1838), no title, appears in Lieder und lyrisch epische Gedichte, in Frauen-Liebe und Leben, no. 8, first published 1829
This text was added to the website: 2014-02-17
Line count: 12
Word count: 67