Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
¿Con qué la lavaré la [tez]1 de la mi cara? ¿Con qué la lavaré, Que vivo mal penada? Lávanse las casadas con agua de limones: lávome yo, cuitada, con [penas]2 y dolores.
1 Vasquez: "flor"
2 Vasquez: "ansias"
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joaquín Rodrigo Vidre (1901 - 1999), "¿Con qué la lavaré?", 1948, from Cuatro madrigales amatorios, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Juan Vásquez (c1510 - c1560), "¿Con qué la lavaré?" [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Steuart Allin) , "With what then may I bathe", copyright ©
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , "With what shall I bathe", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Avec quoi puis-je laver", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Womit kann ich sie netzen", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "Conas a nífidh mé?", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 32
Conas a nífidh mé an craiceann ’tá ar mo ghnúis? Conas a nífidh mé is mise lán de bhuairt? Níonn na mná pósta iad féin le huisce na líomóidí. Nímse mé féin, monuar le pianta is trioblóidí.
- Singable translation from Spanish (Español) to Irish (Gaelic) copyright © 2014 by Gabriel Rosenstock.
This author's work falls under the Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) Creative Commons license.
Gabriel Rosenstock.  Contact: grosenstock04 (AT) gmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2014-12-09
Line count: 8
Word count: 37