Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Und alles blüht ringsum und alles lacht, Nur meine Flügel blieben mir geschlossen, Doch hinterm Stacheldraht die Maienpracht Blüht auch für mich, drum harr' ich aus entschlossen!
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author, Vierzehnjähriger, KZ Theresienstadt  [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Karl Heinz Pick (b. 1929), "Geschlossene Flügel", from Das rote Liederbuch, no. 3. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Folded wings", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 27
And everything blooms all around and everything laughs, Only my wings remain folded, Yet, behind the barbed wire the glory of May Blooms for me as well, therefore I abide resolutely!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2014 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist, Vierzehnjähriger, KZ Theresienstadt
This text was added to the website: 2014-12-10
Line count: 4
Word count: 31