Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Caro m’è ’l sonno, e più l’esser di sasso, mentre che ’l danno e la vergogna dura; non veder, non sentir m’è gran ventura; però non mi destar, deh, parla basso.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475 - 1564), no title, written 1507-30, appears in Rime, no. 247 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by André Boucourechliev (1925 - 1997), "La nuit parle", 1995, published 1998 [high voice, flute, and piano], from Trois fragments de Michel-Ange, no. 1, Editions Salabert [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "La nuit parle", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Die Nacht spricht", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2014-11-29
Line count: 4
Word count: 31
Le sommeil m'est cher, et plus encore d'être de pierre, Tant que le préjudice et la honte durent ; ne pas voir, ne pas entendre, me sont une grande fortune ; mais ne me réveille pas, je t'en prie, parle bas.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2014 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475 - 1564), no title, written 1507-30, appears in Rime, no. 247
Researcher for this text: Leif Møller
This text was added to the website: 2014-12-12
Line count: 4
Word count: 41