Misero pargoletto, Il tuo destin non sai. Ah! non gli dite mai Qual era il genitor. Come in un punto, oh Dio, Tutto [cambiò]1 d'aspetto! Voi foste il mio diletto, Voi siete il mio terror.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Tutte le opere di Pietro Metastasio, Firenze, Tipografia Borghi e compagni 1832, page 246.
The text appears in "Demofoonte", atto III, scena V (Timante's aria).1 Schubert: "cangiò"
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, written 1733, appears in Demofoonte [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Misero pargoletto", D 42 (1813?), published 1895 [sung text checked 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791), "Misero me . . . Misero pargaletto", K. 77 (1771) [ soprano and orchestra ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Pobre infant", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Unhappy child", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Malheureux enfant", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Laura Prichard) , "Armes Kindlein", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Richard Morris , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 35