Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Ma come potrei io mai soffrire Di partirmida te che t'amo pur tanto, Che senza te mi par ognor morire? Essendo teco non so giammai quanto Più ben mi possa avere, o più disire. Ma sallo bene Amore in quanto pianto Istà la vita mia la notte e 'l giorno, Mentre non veggo questo viso adorno.
- by Giovanni Boccaccio (1313 - 1375) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ottorino Respighi (1879 - 1936), "Ma come potrei", P. 71 (1906), from Cinque Canti All'antica, no. 2. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Mais comment pourrais-je", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , title 1: "But how could I", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:22
Line count: 8
Word count: 56
Mais comment pourrais-je jamais souffrir De me séparer de toi que j'aime tant, Quand sans toi à chaque heure il me semble mourir ? Être avec toi, jamais je ne pourrai Avoir davantage ou désirer plus. Mais l'Amour le sait bien de combien de larmes Est remplie ma vie nuit et jour Quand je ne vois pas ce visage orné.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2015 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2015-11-20 00:00:00
Last modified: 2015-11-20 00:05:23
Line count: 8
Word count: 60