Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Dolcissima mia vita, a che tardate la bramata aita? Credete forse che'l bel foco ond' ardo, sia per finir perche torcete il guardo? Ahi, non fia mai che brama il mio desire o d'amarti o morire.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carlo Gesualdo da Venosa (c1561 - 1613), "Dolcissima mia vita" [ chorus a cappella ], madrigal [sung text checked 2 times]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "My sweetest life", copyright © 2009
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Ma vie très douce", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Mein süßestes Leben", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 36
Mein süßestes Leben, warum hältst du die ersehnte Hilfe zurück? Glaubst du vielleicht, dass die Glut meiner Leidenschaft erlischt, wenn du den Blick abwendest? Ach, ich werde nie etwas anderes begehren, als dich zu lieben oder zu sterben.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2015 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-01
Line count: 6
Word count: 38