Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Vorrei di te fidarmi ma per usanza antica inteso ad ingannarmi io ti conosco amor. Se t'accarezzo amica tu mi prepari un laccio; se ti raccolgo in braccio, tu mi ferisci il cor.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in L'asilo d'amore [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Vincenzo Righini (1756 - 1812), "Vorrei di te fidarmi", op. 7 no. 10, from Dodici Ariette, no. 10. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Barbara Miller) , "I want to trust you", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "I would like to trust you", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Barbara Miller , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2007-12-05
Line count: 8
Word count: 33
I would like to trust you but by past experience you intend to deceive. I know you, Love, If I caress you ad a friend you prepare me a noose; if I pick you up in my arms, you wound my heart.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2015 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in L'asilo d'amore
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-26
Line count: 8
Word count: 42