Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Meine Thränen im [Bußegewand]1 Die Wallfahrt haben Zur Kaaba der Schönheit angetreten. In der Wüste brennendem Sand Sind sie begraben, Nicht hingelangten sie anzubeten.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Oestliche Rosen von Friedrich Rückert. Drei Lesen. Leipzig: F. A. Brockhaus. 1822, page 369.1 Schubert: "Bußgewand"
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Östliche Rosen, in 3. Dritte Lese, first published 1822 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Die Wallfahrt", D 778A (1823?), published 1969 [ bass, piano ], Bärenreiter, VN 19301, Kassel [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "El pelegrinatge", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De pelgrimage", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "The pilgrimage", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le pèlerinage", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Il pellegrinaggio", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 24
My tears in sackcloth1 Have begun the pilgrimage Toward Ka’aba2 the beautiful. In the wilderness of burning sand You are buried, Not [allowing me] to worship [you] there.
1 note: the speaker is dressed as a penitent
2 Ka'aba: the Muslim "House of God" in Mecca; in some editions Schubert has “Aula” = the Great Hall
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2015 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Östliche Rosen, in 3. Dritte Lese, first published 1822
This text was added to the website: 2015-12-27
Line count: 6
Word count: 28