Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Meine Thränen im [Bußegewand]1 Die Wallfahrt haben Zur Kaaba der Schönheit angetreten. In der Wüste brennendem Sand Sind sie begraben, Nicht hingelangten sie anzubeten.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Oestliche Rosen von Friedrich Rückert. Drei Lesen. Leipzig: F. A. Brockhaus. 1822, page 369.1 Schubert: "Bußgewand"
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Östliche Rosen, in 3. Dritte Lese, first published 1822 [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Die Wallfahrt", D. 778A (1823?), published 1969 [bass, piano], Bärenreiter, VN 19301, Kassel [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "El pelegrinatge", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De pelgrimage", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "The pilgrimage", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le pèlerinage", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Il pellegrinaggio", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-11-10 07:20:52
Line count: 6
Word count: 24
In lacrime, vestito da penitente, iniziai il pellegrinaggio al tempio della Bellezza; Ma nella sabbia rovente del deserto stanno ora sepolte le lacrime, e non bastano alla preghiera.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2010 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), no title, appears in Östliche Rosen, in 3. Dritte Lese, first published 1822
Text added to the website: 2010-01-31 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:32
Line count: 6
Word count: 28